look ma, i've got my very own blog!

"and all the science i don't understand... is just my job five days a week." --elton john, "rocket man"

Sunday, August 12, 2007

riddle

if two black cats cross your path in opposite directions, is the bad luck negated?

last night was my fundraising party for the marathon i'm running in october. initially i had high hopes of raising all kinds of money through this event, and i think it had real potential to do so. and although it was not the financial success of my dreams, it was still great fun. the theme was "flashback to elementary school field day and kegger." all of you probably got the e-vite... i think the highlight for me was the homemade corndogs prepared by charles. although the karaoke at the end of the evening was also quite amazing. who knew bob could sing like that?

every time i have ever raised money for anything, i find myself delighted and surprised by where it comes from. people you never expect to give in the first place wind up being the most generous, and people who have nothing still give what they can, or put in hours of labor in place of cash, or both. it is hard for me to ask people for things and hard for me to accept things that people give. so when i go to my fundraising page or look at the checks people have sent and see who has given what, i am humbled and thankful. what a strange and excellent side effect of this whole process.

my dad has generously offered to donate several batches of homebrew to my fundraising. we're selling six-packs for $15, so if you're in the area and want some delicious beer, our first batch will be ready next week. which will be perfect because i have the keg for the rest of the week...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home