look ma, i've got my very own blog!

"and all the science i don't understand... is just my job five days a week." --elton john, "rocket man"

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

one million degrees

today was hot in seattle. i made some bad choices and am still suffering the dehydrated consequences. please be more responsible than me and drink lots and lots and lots of fluids (such as gatorade or v8 in addition to plain water) when it is hot. neglecting to do so can cause all kinds of trouble including but not limited to low alcohol tolerance and poor running performance.

it is weird how things that once were so strange can become totally normal. i remember feeling like such an imposter fall quarter walking around the hospital with my stethoscope on. now it is simply another tool i use all the time with ease and comfort.
interacting with the big scary surgeons is becoming that way too. i am remembering how they are really just people like everyone else, even if they do perform incredible and sometimes god-like feats everyday. i think they probably feel pretty weird about what they do sometimes too, and it maybe even freaks them out a bit when they stop and think about the things they do to people on a daily basis. everyone always treats them like they are so unbelievable, higher than the rest of humanity, brilliant and skilled and worthy of their service. and while i agree that these folks are incredibly intelligent, dedicated to and gifted at their profession, i think they still like to feel like the rest of us normals sometimes. i think that's why i am starting to get along with some of them pretty well. they can joke with me and be weirdos instead of always having to be so serious and stiff. these folks are so often dealing with such serious and complicated patients that getting two minutes to just goof off and laugh with someone seems to really do them good. and it helps me to enjoy being there just a bit more. how mutualistic.
yesterday i made a bet with one of the residents. i won. he owes me a coffee.

10 days till vacation. night.

5 Comments:

At 5:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did you bet?

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger paul said...

When I was doing my supervised ministry, I worked in a hospital. The surgeons always had that image of gods to me. I always felt small around them. And then one day it hit me that they are dealing with a body that is temporary, where as I deal with a soul that is eternal. Where I still have a great deal of respect for those in the medical field (especially after one saved my wife's life), I don't think I have an overly inflated opinion of them.

And if you want to know the truth, for a patient's point of view, it's the nurses that make or break a hospital stay.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Word.

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in the ER last week and thought of you, Liz, and how the funny, chatty nurses made getting stitches a "fun" experience. I'm glad you're on your way to joining those ranks. You're so good at making people laugh. :)
Annie.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger paul said...

Liz, I just got out of the hospital. I blew out my ankle on a bike this weekend. I just got an MRI done this morning and will find out what will happen next, but let me tell you.. nurses make all the difference.

You have an amzaing chance to be a blessing... just so you know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home