look ma, i've got my very own blog!

"and all the science i don't understand... is just my job five days a week." --elton john, "rocket man"

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

full circle

one year ago today i left athens in a cloud of dust and chaos. it was about this time that i was reaching chicago after driving through horrific downpours of both rain and tears. what a time. now i am on my way back, if only for another short visit.

i know it seems like i'm always looking backwards and reflecting on things in the past, but this last year has really held a lot of big stuff for me. i think all of the looking back helps me to see how far i have come and how much i have to look forward to in the future. i think this year is going to be a pretty big one too, so get ready for more ponderings from my past.

as i was waiting for my connection in the salt lake city airport this afternoon, i witnessed a woman in a bright red sweatsuit doing some pre-flight yoga. normally i would have been mildly impressed, or at least understanding of these health conscious activities. but in this case she was performing some very scandalous moves while on a bench in the middle of the terminal. parents and their children passed by her while she did series after series of various pelvic tilts atop her makeshift stage. more than a few conversations halted as pilots and passengers alike caught site of her bending in unnatural ways and "deep breathing" very loudly.

when things like this happen, i tend to feel uncomfortable. it seems to me that this sort of display should embarrass that person, and the fact that it doesn't or doesn't enough to keep them from doing it makes me think. am i just too concerned about what other people think, or should i feel even worse for that person because they don't even have enough sense to be embarrassed?

probably both.

and also, i got a job! it's in the emergency department at children's hospital. i'm really excited and more than a bit nervous. everything will be starting at the same time: school, this job, my psych rotation and my community health rotation... it's pure madness, i tell you!
but in a good way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home