look ma, i've got my very own blog!

"and all the science i don't understand... is just my job five days a week." --elton john, "rocket man"

Thursday, December 07, 2006

secret places, secret people

if you haven't listened to gershwin in a while i would recommend doing so again soon.

i have a few secrets that i guard pretty closely. for example, i have found my new favorite place in seattle. and while there is a part of me that wants to tell you all about it and detail each of the many things i love, i fear that if i do, suddenly people i know will start showing up here, diminishing the sweet privacy of it and stripping me of that feeling of ownership or discovery that i am so thoroughly enjoying right now. perhaps in time i will stop being so greedy and let you all in on it. but for now i'm going to keep it all for me.

have you ever met somebody that you want to be friends with, and even think that you would really get along well with because you're pretty similar and have a lot in common--and yet there is still something in the way? you really can't put your finger on it, but there is an awkwardness or discomfort that doesn't make any sense but is present nonetheless? i don't think that i understand how relationships work at all. amongst the thousands of people you meet there are certain ones who you instantly get along with, who are easy and delightful for no specific reason; and there are people who, despite all of your efforts, best intentions, and against all reason and intuition, you will never really know. there is no formula to it, no logical rationale, no way to explain who is which and why. it's just a mystery.

2 Comments:

At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi friend! I must say that I LOVES me some Gershwin. I also loves me some you and cannot WAIT until I see you again (next week??) I totally agree with your last paragraph - it's interesting and confusing that we "click" with some people and not with others. Good luck with finals; I am drafting an e-mail AS WE SPEAK (as I write?) for you so that this doesn't get too long. Good luck with finals!!

 
At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah. i often don't get that whole mystery thing either. it does, however, make those easy and delightful ones that much sweeter. friendships like that are kinda like a secret place of their own.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home