look ma, i've got my very own blog!

"and all the science i don't understand... is just my job five days a week." --elton john, "rocket man"

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

my name is liz and i am compulsive

i am pretty much incapable of telling a lie. at least one that is in any way believable by any person who is actually alive. which i suppose is a good quality to have, really. but it is more than this. not only can i not tell a lie, but i am compulsively honest.

today i took a little study break and crossed the street to the bean and bagel. i ordered my bagel and was paying and the girl at the register asked if i wanted a drink. i was filling my mug and she said "oh, just a refill for you (wink wink)?"

now everyone knows that a cup of coffee is no priceless menu item, and clearly the nice girl was really trying to be kind to an obviously weary soul by treating me to a hot caffeinated beverage. but instead of just accepting the free cup of coffee (which i think costs something like a whopping 85 cents when you bring your own mug), i corrected her and said it was my first cup, forcing her to charge me for it--and also to look at me with nothing but pure skepticism. sorry, nice girl. i just can't seem to help myself.

in my defense this little hole in the wall was bustling at the time. and i am clearly not in peak form right now...

i often wonder if i just need to think more before speaking and acting and these sorts of things could be avoided.
and also, it's kind of funny how i seem to feel bad for not lying and essentially stealing a cup of coffee. i guess i'm also compulsively guilty.

5 minutes ago i was sitting outside in the sunshine eating a bagel. now it is pouring.

i'm off to final #2.
sigh.

1 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just keep reading David Sedaris and finals will be easier. At least none of your teachers have poked you in the eye with a freshly sharpened pencil...
Bon courage! Annie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home