look ma, i've got my very own blog!

"and all the science i don't understand... is just my job five days a week." --elton john, "rocket man"

Monday, February 05, 2007

well what have we got here?

at first i really liked 24 too, but now it kind of just seems like other tv shows. it's hard for me to get into that stuff, so mostly i just go to see the people. tonight i looked at rosie more than the tv. that's an hour well spent.

what do you do when there is someone in authority to you whom you don't really respect or trust, but have to submit to anyway? i am actually asking here.
i have an instructor who, for some reason none of us can figure out, decided at the beginning of this quarter to single me out and give me a really hard time. i produce work of the same quality as my classmates on time, yet she is always on my case and has said more than once now that it would be okay if i decide i don't want to be a nurse. thanks. it's good that you're keeping me in check here because my ego is really getting out of control.
she said this to me on friday. this was the same day that my patient implied that i am incompetent as a nurse. at the time he was really drugged up and fiesty, and he was playfully teasing me. he and his wife actually really liked me and kept trying to set me up with one of their sons, but his comments combined with the encouragement of my faithful instructor were a bit much for me. on days like this, naked finals (click here or here) don't seem so bad...
i guess i just wonder if these people see something i don't. i mean, i really don't know what i'm doing yet. but i feel like that's why i'm here. that's what i'm in school for, that's why i'm supposed to be instructed by a quality nurse in the hospital setting two very long days every week. because Lord knows we don't learn how to do anything practical in our classes...
but maybe they're right, maybe my instructor sees a real flaw in me that tells her i'll be terrible at this.
i think the worst part of the whole stupid situation is knowing that i have to do the right thing here and really, really not wanting to. i know that i have to meet with her and discuss all of this, confront her on the ways i feel she has singled me out, the troubles we are having between us, and be willing to hear whatever it is that she has to say to me. part of me just wants to lay low for the last five weeks of the quarter and get through it, but i know that's the lazy man's option. the only nice part in any of this is the support i am getting from my classmates. they've witnessed the madness too and have reassured me that they haven't seen me do anything wrong, anything differently than any one of them.
and the thing is, i wouldn't even really mind it all that much if she was giving me such a hard time and i either felt like i deserved it or i felt like it was really doing me good. but neither is the case. i am not learning anything about being a good nurse from this, and it just makes me feel really terrible about everything.


on a different and happier note entirely, i got a new pair of running shoes on saturday. i was the first person to buy this particular pair as it was their first day out. i'm so cutting edge...
while i was trying on several different pairs, the nice man helping me asked if i was training for any races coming up.
me: "yes actually, one in march."
nice shoe man: "that's great. which one?"
me: "actually, it's in florida."
nsm: "you know, there are races you can run around here..."
yes there are. i think i'm going to run the st. patrick's day dash the weekend before the bay-to-bay classic in tampa.
SPRING BREAK 2007! WOOOOH!
and the new shoes are such a delight. it's like running on pillows.

5 Comments:

At 5:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can totally confront her. Just make sure that you are wearing clothes at the time and not a hospital gown that is open in the back. When I had one on last week it was wedgie central.
-Sarah

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Patrick said...

I imagine that running on pillows would be very cumbersome and tiring. And clumsy.

When you have the meeting, you should perhaps preface it by suggesting that you know you have seemed non-confident in your nursing skills and would like just one more chance to show your improvement. "Now if you would kindly slip out of those professor duds and into this nice hospital gown please, we'll begin shortly..."

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger paul said...

i like patrick's answer...

and please note, patrick responded before me.

 
At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK - i say no confrontation. I think this person is ridin gyou because they think you can do better. Sometimes people do that. I'm tempted to say don't take it personally, but instead I say, take it personally in a sort of positive way - put your nose to the grindstone, use it as motivation to do your absolute best and impress her. don't let her reactions to your work touch your self image. You can do this, there's no doubt. maybe she sees something great in you and just wants to make sure you're tough enough to handle what's coming. Go get 'em tiger.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I say...evaluate what it is that you don't trust or respect about her. If it makes sense and it's not just in your head (I say this because my head and I make things up about people all the time) then you can think about talking to her like I did to my boss today (which went SUPER well). If not, then you may need to consider what you have to change about the way you see her. It's times like these when you need Jenny Miller around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home