look ma, i've got my very own blog!

"and all the science i don't understand... is just my job five days a week." --elton john, "rocket man"

Sunday, January 07, 2007

i remember that

one year ago i was scrambling to get my application in for the school that i now attend. i just talked with my lovely friend amanda who is currently doing the same. i remember it all so well: the feeling of disorder and chaos, drowning in forms and transcripts and references; forcing myself to sit down and just write the damn essay, no matter how generic and tired the questions were; the glorious freedom that came when i finally just sent it off once and for all, knowing that i had done what i could and my fate now lay in someone else's hands.

i will tell you this: i am soooo glad that part is over. it is still debatable whether or not i'm glad that i got in... now i spend my weekends in cold, abandoned university buildings reading giant pathophysiology textbooks half my body weight in size. i just hope that when i'm done i feel like it was worth it. i just want my life to make a difference to the people i work with. i want to be competent at my job, i want to enjoy it and know that i'm good at it. i want to make life better for people who are in crummy situations.

i hope being here now will make this possible in the end.

on a different note, our first batch of homebrew will be ready in 3 weeks. we siphoned it from the bucket into the carboy yesterday, and i got a hefty taste in the process... i think it's going to be pretty good. i like learning how to make new things.

2 Comments:

At 5:19 AM, Blogger paul said...

I hope you never lose that desire to be good at your job. I will never forget when my wife was in surgery (it was about hour 9)... I was really tired... and I walked down to the cafeteria to get some caffeine. Honestly, I didn't think she was doing to make it and I was contemplating the life of being a single dad.

There was this table of med students there studying... and they were sloshing through this stuff for a test. And I could tell they looked "detached" from their studies.

And I walked up to them... and I just excused myself and said, "Hi. Um... my wife is upstairs in surgery. She has HELPS and when she gave birth she hemorrhaged and they can't stop the bleeding. There is a team of medical staff up there trying to save her life... and one day that might be you. So from the husband of one of your future patients... I just wanted to encourage you to study hard. And buy you some coffee."

In my job and through my supervised training in a hospital, I have met a lot of doctors, nurses, medical staff. Many are good and genuinely seem to love their work. But some seem like they don't really care anymore. And I wonder when they lost it? I wonder if whey they graduated from nursing school or med school they had this fire in them... and then politics, long hours, bad bosses... drove it out of them? Or if there motive was wrong from the beginning.

So Liz, from the husband of one of your future patients...study hard. And when you are back in Athens, I would be honored to buy you a cup of coffee. (From Donkey, of course.)

 
At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't really follow that.... I just wanted to say hi...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home