look ma, i've got my very own blog!

"and all the science i don't understand... is just my job five days a week." --elton john, "rocket man"

Thursday, December 28, 2006

winter sports

i hit the slopes today for the first time in 3+ years. i was trying (not very hard) to do the math, and i think that's how long it has been. it was the absolute perfect day to be out there: good snow, sunshine, middle of the week sized crowds. it all came back to me pretty quickly. it still feels like flying. the people you meet out there are almost always so nice and friendly and enjoyable--unless they have a cold and screaming kid or problems with gear or something. but usually they're fun-loving people out to have a good time and enjoy being outside.

i wish you could have seen the mountains. the mountains on such a cold and clear day... are pretty much indescribable. but they made my heart ache a little bit, made me think of God.

part of the fun of a day like today is coming in. when the sun went down it got really stinkin' cold, and by the end of my last trip up the lift my fingers and toes literally hurt from the cold and the rest of me was icy and shaking. something about dangling 20 feet above the ground in the wind... so i turned the heat up in the car on the way home, and when i got here i drank some beer and watched a movie. i meant to shower beforehand, but i stopped at kid valley down the street and wanted to eat before my fries got cold. i'm still in my long underwear now. next comes my pajamas.

it feels good to have played outside all day. it feels good to have used my body and to be tired. tomorrow it may not feel quite so good... but for now i'm going to enjoy it.

2 Comments:

At 4:02 AM, Blogger paul said...

Beer? No, hot chocolate! I never pictured a cold beer after a day at the slopes.

I have always wanted to ski. Now I fear that I'm too old to learn and my knees are not strong enough. But from an observer's stand point, there is a connection with a mountain that seems almost supernatural to me. And it seems like it would be really fun.

I was just thinking the other night how much I enjoyed sledding as a kid. This seems to be the adult version of that!

Hope you are moving well today.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger liz said...

paul-
the mountain where i went also has a sledding area. i've never been, but i think they have lifts to the top and everything... so you never really have to grow out of such "childish" pursuits. it's like the whole ghost in the graveyard thing. only in the winter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home