look ma, i've got my very own blog!

"and all the science i don't understand... is just my job five days a week." --elton john, "rocket man"

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

back to life, back to reality

today real life began again. as usual i didn't get as much done over break as i hoped. i only got 1 1/2 books out of 3 read. there were people i meant to see but didn't. i definitely didn't sleep as much as i wanted. matt's christmas present is still unfinished. but it was really excellent nonetheless. my time in athens was good in more ways than i expected. i chronicled one of my many enjoyable evenings in the style of a jessica meyer travel log:

9:23 pm
EAE is seen on a fraternity. "epsilon alpha... elephant?" -liz
"you're an elephant." -lbj
"yes, with my trunk, and grey skin..." -liz
"...and big ears, and tusks..." -lbj
"...and thick legs!" -tirza

10:45 pm
"i'll only have $1 left..." -liz
"...and i'll buy you a christmas hot dog!" -tirza

10:53 pm
"will you taste this? it tastes kind of funny to us." -liz to jonathan, the bartender at o'hooley's.
"it tastes fine to me." -jonathan
"i think it kind of tastes like cheese." -liz
"like cheese? ... yeah, i guess it kind of does. like a muenster, or a smoked gouda!" -jonathan (who proceeded to give us free pints of a different brew.)

11:04 pm
"what the heck..." -liz
"yeah, i was wondering too." -tirza
"it's a fair wonder." -liz.

believe it or not, but my whole time in athens was this good. i got to remember some nice times and put a few old demons to rest. i got to laugh a whole lot and remember that there are people who love and support me. i got to see quite a bit of sunshine. i got to run in some of my favorite places, see some of my favorite people (including a surprise dinner with matty), and bask in the peaceful glory that is athens during winter break.

mdog reminded us that all things are made new again. new year. new quarter. i really appreciate the freedom i feel in that. it's nice to remember that i don't have to be anything just because i once was.


" 'Everything is in the hands of heaven, except the fear of heaven,' " he quoted. "What can I tell you, my Asher? I do not know what the Master of the Universe has waiting for us. Certain things are given, and it is for man to use them to bring goodness into the world. The Master of the Universe gives us glimpses, only glimpses. It is for us to open our eyes wide."

-Chaim Potok, My Name is Asher Lev

1 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i blogged about you blogging about my blog. apparently i can't get enough of myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home