look ma, i've got my very own blog!

"and all the science i don't understand... is just my job five days a week." --elton john, "rocket man"

Sunday, November 12, 2006

what will they think of next

last night i pulled out the old electric blanket and slept in glorious warmth.

having an electric blanket in the first place kind of makes me feel like a little old lady. it kind of makes me feel like a big wuss that can't even just use blankets like the rest of the world. it seems like a needless extravagance, a gross and wimpy luxury.

but i will say that it was the best thing that ever happened to me when i got it. being in ohio in the winter in a room without heat got to be what one might call "cold." and crawling into bed beneath chilly sheets that took ages to warm up was miserable. and once things finally did warm up, every time i would roll over or shift around, i would drift into a cold patch and be jarred back to consciousness from the shivering that would ensue. so i bought my sage green electric blanket. and life improved.

the best part about having this marvel of modern technology is that it enables me to climb into a pre-warmed, already cozy bed. if you have never experienced this, i will tell you that it is magical and highly recommend that you try it out sometime. once when i visited a village in england where my friend poppy lived, i stayed in an old, drafty cottage in a bed so tall i had to jump to get into it. beneath the layers and layers of quilts and blankets, the bed was lined with the biggest hot water bottles i have ever seen in my life. same concept--but i will say that i think pushing a little button is probably easier than boiling all that water and then transporting it to its destination. and i always wonder what would happen if the hot water bottle(s) broke...

perhaps you are reading this and discovering that everything you thought about me was a lie. perhaps you respect me less for being so weak and shallow as to enjoy this kind of pleasantry. perhaps you're totally inspired to go out and get your very own electric blanket.

all know is that i love crawling into my preheated little oven bed.

2 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger paul said...

only enough, I have never liked electric blankets. I guess they are okay when you just use them to "preheat" your bed, but you know... I always get overheated when I sleep with them.

Maybe I'm just strange?

 
At 6:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a down girl myself... Hey, have you seen "The Agronomist"? I just watched it this weekend and thought of you. (It's about Haiti and worth seeing just for the facial expressions of Jean Domonique.) Come visit Colorado - it's sunny 300 days of the year! xo, A.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home